Sunday, November 4, 2007

New Job, Another family,

The last 6 weeks have been busy, with leaving Telfer, going to Brisbane for a well deserved holiday, being rejected for a job that I was the only applicant for, going to Clare for a weekend, moving, starting a new job, having the interview for the job (in the wet mess at Telfer), sitting an exam. It's no wonder I have the feeling that I don't sleep!!


Today I had a job interview for an Occupational Hygiene job at Olympic Dam - I can hear you guys now saying didn't you just start a new job - yeah so what!!


Okay I should go back to the start the 17th of October was my last day at Telfer, the final month there was interesting, we had commenced playing Trivia Pursuit on a thursday night, and everyone had been told for the last 6-8 months that we needed an Occupational Hygienist, and I was the person (it wasn't me telling people) - at this time I had been told that the job was not happening within the required time period so I should look for another job. My supervisor onsite had just asked me to stay until Mid December when I was told at Trivia Pursuit that the Occupational Hygienist position had been given to someone else. You may say so... when you had been verbally promised a position and then found out that someone else has the job it doesn't sit well. So I was emotionally upset for the next 48 hours - was made to have the following day off. At no time did I think about leaving before my contract was finished.


On my 2nd last day at Telfer I had a meeting with the HR Manager to discuss what went wrong - I was told that I should not of been promised the position, and I was not promised the position. I was also told that as a Contractor I had no loyalty to Newcrest, I was too immature and the other person was appointed by senior management (i.e. I didn't suck up enough).


My farewell party was good - it was someone else's b'day as well - so they had a cake and I had some nibbles. People from everywhere showed up - all of them different as one person said to me - Chantell your farewell was always going to be an interesting event since you touch everyone - especially the weirdo's! It was 11ish when I went to bed, and 1ish others went to bed!


But that's look at the good stuff - I went off to Brisbane to spend some quality time with Jelena - and Nathan. Went to Australia Zoo, got looked after, went bush walking, wondered the streets of Brisbane all good stuff.


During my last week at Telfer I was approached and asked if I wanted a job on a construction site - I'm like why not - so that's how I ended up with a new job! At the same time I was rejected for a job that I was the only person that they were considering for the position.


My parents brought a new house about 5 months ago - they finally took ownership of it, and since at the moment - my address is my parents place I moved as well. It was all timed to perfection finish work on wednesday, move Monday, fly to Adelaide Friday, Fly to Melbourne Sunday, Sit exam Tuesday - one small thing I didn't plan was assignments and study time.
Then I flew to Perth on Wednesday morning...

I then had 2 days of Rest - which was went I needed no matter what anyone says!!

So what's this about another family - my friends Heather and Ben got married - hence the trip to Adelaide. The wedding was in Clare about 150 kilometres from Adelaide, One of mine and Heather's friends picked me up at the airport and we went to Clare together. Country weddings in particular seem to have a pattern - Friday night get together, final meal etc. BBQ generally - Saturaday - Wedding/Reception, Sunday - Brunch - a country wedding is not a day it is a weekend.

So as this was a country wedding the pattern fits - so went to the Bride's family for Dinner - BBQ - bring your own meat and drinks - normal BBQ event. well actually turned up in Clare, gave Bride a buzz said we made it to town she then said if you in town why are you not here - so went to bride's parents house - I had been there maybe twice before... but it's one of those places you knock and walk through the front door at the same time! You know the places!
The last minute things were getting done - i.e. table dressings - it was then we discovered all the plans hadn't been finalised for the tables - so we got that done. At the BBQ that night - I told the maid of Honour that the next day - she was to take the phone off the bride - she said she couldn't - I then told the Bride's mum to do it - she said that was a good idea. I also asked what needed to get done - the table dressings were given to me to make sure they got to the reception in time.

Saturaday morning the phone rings - Bride on phone - the table dressings need to be at the reception by 10 - in just under an hour - Vines to cut from the trees etc. so things got coordinated. I reminded the Bride's mum that the Bride is not supposed to have a phone - she takes it off Bride then. Question at the Reception place - I don't know the answer - good thing I have groom's phone number on the phone - gave him a buzz and he was able to answer! Yippee!! he also needs to give me something for the Bride - he can't see her!

Saturday afternoon the wedding - everyone is beautiful! Was asked to pack everything up at the wedding - which was fine - just take all the brides' things and put them back in the house!
The bride's father comes up and gives me a big hug and says he needs to adopt me!
Saturaday night on a table full of strangers - and I was given the job of greeter - I was then able to give the job to Cameron - Heather's little brother. Heather's uni mates asked me a question that referred to the fact that I was related to her.
The night was a good night - and it was 3am before my head hit the pillow. Lots of dancing, and lots of good times!
Sunday - everyone with there sore heads!

But Barbara and Bob (Heather's parents) were still saying on Sunday morning that they adopting me!

2 comments:

Stace said...

Hey Chantell. I'm really bored and lonely, but you know how I hate telephones so I thought I'd read your blog instead of calling. I hate Sundays.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chantell, Sounds like an up and down week. Congrats about Telfer (I think) did you want to stay? Its in a different town isn't it?
Cheers,
Andrew