Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Facebook, email and SMS, and snail mail

I just read a newsarticle that said that email, SMS and snail mail are all out for inviting people to that social event... and Facebook or my space is in!

I think this may be acceptable for a bash here and a bash there, but... an invite to someone's wedding over Facebook - I just don't think it has the same touch.

Yes everyone gets the same invite in snail mail - it's a bulk mail out - depending of course of the definition of bulk! But it's that personal touch - the ribbon, knowing that some consideration was taken to get your mailing address (cos you have moved four times between giving it to them last year for xmas cards - or is that just me).

A message on facebook - it's like yeah, an email message - well we all get 10's of them at work , SMS someone throught you were worth 20 cents or so - to tell you that they were thinking of you - even if that isn't what the message says!

A personalised snail mail letter... you were worth at least 50 cents, plus paper! I don't send enough snail mail letters, that could be due to my address book being empty - until people have settled into a house, or my last address book being in a box in Adelaide - and still unknown when I will rescue these belongings.

Also could be due that I am impatient - if I send an email - I want an answer that week at least, and where I have been - it can take 2 weeks for the mail to be delivered, even with the Monday- friday planes. Also I don't feel anything is worth while giving another address to - cos I don't feel like changing addresses again!

With all this in mind I can understand why facebook/my space is becoming the new invite system, but for me I would prefer to stick to snail mail for the important things in life, weddings, engagement parties. Announcement of babies SMS are the best way. But other things - just general parties I suppose Facebook is the way to go!

But I never have general parties, cos I am always in a place I don't know anyone! I suppose my last general party was my farewell from Telfer, and that was a work farewell! So emails to everyone work email address was the best way!

1 comment:

Andrew said...

I dont like Facebook/Myspace. Unless you send/post messages to each other I feel like it does not help friendships, unlike words. I prefer to beable to see someone, preferable with a cup of coffee/tea/orange juice in my hands and chat. Prehaps walk.

SMSs I can handle. But the phone is a better idea.

You take care and I'll see you in December. Please SMS where/when and how much I'm expected to pay.
Cheers,
Andrew